Community_discussions_small  

Comment

San Francisco Bay Area Native

17 Jan 2008 redleader said

Default_avatar
I went on a Contiki europe trip last October and it was a real blast. However, I was very surprised that Contiki did tours in the US. I never though folks from the outside would be interested in coming here when you've got the whole of Europe and beyond to explore. Anyway, being a local here and working in downtown San Francisco, I would be very amused to see a big contiki bus drive by (I have yet to see one). If anyone has questions about San Francisco or its surrounding areas, feel free to ask!
  • 17 Jan 2008 shane said

Default_avatar

Gday redleader.

I am thinking of doing the Alcatraz tour when im there. just a couple of Q’s

1/ How far is the boat ride to the island?
    2/ Is the water very choppy / rough as i got motion sickness when doing a fishing charter on the barrier reef earlier this year Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Cheers

• 17 Jan 2008 redleader said

Default_avatar

Well, the boat ride is about 15 minutes and the water can be quite choppy on a windy day. I would say, if you are the least bit motion sick, better take a dramamine or other preventative measure just in case!

• 17 Jan 2008 ave said

Default_avatar

Hey im going to be in San Francisco for 16 days after my contiki tour, what are the best things to do and is 16 days too long? Im thinking of maybe going to Seattle for a few days but all the websites I have been looking at dont seem to have much on what to do there.

• 17 Jan 2008 *Mellissa* said

*Mellissa*

Alcatraz is a must!
    Also visit china town and ride a cable car.
    visit the row of houses like from the show fullhouse. You can do day tours of San Fran and surrounding areas.
    www.viator.com
    is the webby for the tours etc… i did the LA to the Bay and spent 3 days etxra in San Fran.
    Also if you can see a NFL game too i did and it was totally awesome.
    hope this gives you some ideas.
    Mel Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 17 Jan 2008 redleader said

Default_avatar

Yeah 16 Days is a LONG time to be in San Francisco. Its not a terribly large city and even then, there are many large parts of the city that are purely residential. Unless you really need the rest, 16 days may be too long. That said, you might want to pick a handful of 4 or 5 neighborhoods and maybe spend some time in each of them. I’m talking about neighborhoods that most tour groups usually don’t hit up, like the Mission District (very bohemian and colorful), “Clement Street” (the SECOND Chinatown), perhaps visit the Presidio. All in all, I’d say 4 extra days in SF is more than enough before you get bored.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion