Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Scenic Southern - joining a tour.

24 Apr 2010 cocoa86 said

Default_avatar
Hi all,

I'm interested in doing the scenic southern tour anticlockwise from christchurch. It's my understanding that this tour joins the adventurer/explorer tour that has already been going for almost a week.
Has anyone found that they are at a social disadvantage joining a tour later? Or do people usually fit in ok?

Thanks for any advice.
  • 26 Apr 2010 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Yes it would be easier to do the scenic southern clockwise since you start with the explorer/adventurer crowd all at the same time. However, if you fit in well in any situation, then joining mid tour would be no different – and you won’t be the only one either. It really does depend on you and how much you want to blend in. As for the group, there may be a few uptight people, but for the most part, I think a large part of the group are curious about new people and are open to meeting you.

- Vic

• 3 May 2010 ryan_m said

Default_avatar

hey there cocoa86. I just did a grand adventurer 1.5 months ago. Our group was really small 17 in total. And there was suppose to be 2 people joining us mid way through our tour. For the sake of the 2 new people our tour manager let them go with the other tour that was just starting. Cause she knew they wouldve enjoyed the tour with people who are just starting out on the tour.

• 5 May 2010 cocoa86 said

Default_avatar

Thanks, guys, for the reply.
    I considered the clockwise tour, however I recently did the sun & steam and found leaving the tour and my new friends really hard! Especially going back home and still reading facebook updates about the awesome time they were having (so depressing)

I suppose people on Contiki are pretty social, and I love meeting new people, so hopefully I won’t have any issues Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 7 May 2010 ryan_m said

Default_avatar

cocoa86 you wont have any issues. When I did a europe contiki last year. I made life long friends, and now I have contacts all over the world. Just a few months ago I went to Australia, and the people I met on Contiki last year were my tour guides of OZ.

• 10 May 2010 cocoa86 said

Default_avatar

that’s awesome ryan.
    i’m the same, i even got matching friendship tattoos with a girl from canada that i met on contiki europe lol. I always tell people if they want to make friends they should do a contiki!

I guess I was wondering how people who have joined mid-tour have found it..?

• 11 May 2010 ryan_m said

Default_avatar

Hey Cocoa86,
    Since the NZ tour is a combination of 4 tours in one(grand explorer, grand adventurer, north and south islands) they just depart on different days picking up people on the way. I was on the Grand Adventurer, which was 3 days after the Grand Explorer tour started. There was some awkwardness at first since Im the new guy. But once we hit the bars it was a like a family no joke.
    We had another 2 people join mid way through like yourself and they just fitted right in. Remember your there to have a great time.

P.S. if you like to drink like myself, and have a craving for thrills. Queenstown will empty your pockets, with all those optionals, and bars. You’ll have a blast. I guarantee it.

• 15 May 2010 joe_bloggs said

joe_bloggs

hi cocoa,

firstly, at least you are aware you would be joining a current tour. I did the grand explorer tour in december. We had quite a few people joining and leaving the tour at various stages. We had about 7 people come aboard in christchurch and they didn’t seem to be aware they would be joining an ongoing tour. They were quite bitter and never fit in with the rest of the group. They just hung out with each other which was a shame. Two more outgoing girls joined in Wellington who fit in as if they were there from the start.

I believe you have to make an effort to fit in sometimes, don’t just expect everyone to welcome you with open arms.

• 22 May 2010 KC said

Default_avatar

Hey Cocoa,
    Which tour dates are you looking at doing? I’m booked on Scenic Southern anticlockwise leaving Christchurch on 21st September.

I did realise this tour started in Wellington (as an extension), but didn’t realise that we would have people joining throughout the entire tour. Will certainly be interesting to see how it goes!

Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 23 May 2010 cocoa86 said

Default_avatar

Hey KC!
    I’m booked to do the same tour starting 12th November.
    I’m pretty sure the scenic southern is the last to join. The big tours lose sun & steam and northern highlights, then gain scenic southern. And then some people finish in Queenstown.
    I think that’s how it works! It’s quite confusing!
    You will have to let me know how you find it. Hope you have a blast Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 27 May 2010 cocoa86 said

Default_avatar

FromOutoftheRain – that sucks so bad. I can’t believe they’d only been together 3 days and still acted like that. I hope it didn’t ruin your tour.

I also hope I get friendlier people! I would’ve loved to have done the whole tour from the start but unfortunately I can’t afford to.

Thanks for your comments Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 4 Jun 2010 KC said

Default_avatar

That really sucks Fromoutoftherain, I’m hoping my tour isn’t going to be like that too. My last Contiki trip was really bad, there were little groups and heaps of *****ing. It wasn’t fun in that respect, but I did really enjoy getting to see and experience everything. I figure if this tour is going to be similar with all their little groups etc, I’ll just go it alone once I get to each place instead of staying with any of the little friendship groups. I’m quite happy to go and explore on my own!

Cocoa, I wish I could also do one of the longer tours, but unfortunately I couldn’t fit it in with my holidays. If I like this tour then I might go back next year and do one of the north island.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.