Community_discussions_small  

Question

Wake up time?

1 Oct 2008 KimberleyElena asked

Default_avatar
Hey everyone,

As my tour is fast aproaching I was just wondering what time we normally have to get up in New Zealand so we dont miss the bus because I don't want to be left behind!

Thanks

Kimmy
  • 1 Oct 2008 PinaI said

PinaI

Will depend on how far you have to travel that day and what you’re stopping to see in between. From past tours I’ve done, departure time can be anywhere from 7am-10am.

• 1 Oct 2008 KimberleyElena said

Default_avatar

They also have daylight savings dont they?

• 2 Oct 2008 Pervy said

Pervy

Yep, daylight savings kicked in on sunday.

• 2 Oct 2008 KimberleyElena said

Default_avatar

Thanks heaps……… I have to start training myself to get up early.

Just another thing…. I am going over to Christchurch 2 nights before the tour. I will be travelling by myself for the first time, what do you recommend i should do?

• 2 Oct 2008 Pervy said

Pervy

If you asked what to do in Auckland I could help but i’m not to sure about Christchurch, sorry.

• 2 Oct 2008 KimberleyElena said

Default_avatar

All good……. I’m staying an extra day in Auckland after my tour, what do you recommend? Any good bars on a Sunday night?

• 2 Oct 2008 Pervy said

Pervy

Sky Tower is always popular with my friends from overseas. There are some good pubs down at the Viaduct. My favourite is Danny Dolans. If you are staying at the Macure the bar there on the top floor has a nice view plus the drinks aren’t to expencive.

• 2 Oct 2008 PinaI said

PinaI

I wanna do a NZ tour now too!!

• 3 Oct 2008 KimberleyElena said

Default_avatar

you can come on my tour if you want! We are leaving christchurch on 21st oct. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 6 Oct 2008 ashlie said

Default_avatar

I am glad to hear that we wont be leaving any earlier than 8.30. Although I am someone who likes to make the most of my day, I am terrible at getting up in the morning. Wouldnt want to be cranky with my tour mates because of the morning grumps!
    Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    good topic

• 10 Oct 2008 Paul82 said

Default_avatar

I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news but I went on the Grand explorer trip in August and I remember some pretty early mornings when the bus left,(Pretty sure it was still dark when we left Franz Josef for Fox Glacier).
    Also left quite early on the optional trip to Cape Reinga that was about 6 or 6.30. Generally bus left between 7 and 8 with breakfast generally about 6.30. Suggest missing breakfast if you want some more time sleeping and getting something at the first stop of the day.

• 10 Oct 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Scheduling is depends on your road crew too.

I double checked the schedule for the tour I took … 3 days were 7:30 departures, with the rest being later.

• 10 Oct 2008 KimberleyElena said

Default_avatar

How do you find that out before your trip? or is it just from personal experience?

• 11 Oct 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Departure schedules are decided upon by the road crew and you will find out schedule times during the trip. At every location, your TM will write up a day sheet similar to:

Vic

• 15 Oct 2008 jadeh said

Default_avatar

Hey

I just got back from grand adventurer last week and we had some early mornings. I think the earliest was a 6.30 breakfast and 7am departure, but there were only 2 of there, most of the time its a 8am or 9am departure… and you can always sleep on the bus as most people do in the mornings.

Also I wouldnt recommend paying the extra to go right up to top of the sky tower.. its pretty much the same view as the lower deck, its only a change by like 20m or so.

• 16 Oct 2008 ashlie said

Default_avatar

Well, I dont mind those departure times. At the moment im getting up pretty early anyway, so I will be used to it by then. I dont know how I will go sleeping on the bus. Previous bus trips have not been good, and I dont sleep on flights either. But in saying that, I will be okay if all I have to do is sit on the bus. If I was actually having to drive then that’d be a different story. haha.

Jadeh, thanks for your advice about the sky tower. probably will do that now, as I am trying to save as much as i can.

thanks Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 16 Oct 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar

sky tower at night … there are alot more human paw prints on the glass on the lower deck. More serene/tranquil on the top deck … 3$ more.

• 17 Oct 2008 Pervy said

Pervy

I’ve been up the sky tower a few times in the last year with friends from Oz and I agree with ptooma, It’s worth the extra $3

• 19 Oct 2008 ashlie said

Default_avatar

oh if its only $3 thats fine. i didnt even know how much it costs, but for a little bit extra, that worth it.
    thanks for letting me know

• 30 Oct 2008 Explorer1115807 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pervy:
    If you asked what to do in Auckland I could help but i’m not to sure about Christchurch, sorry.

Hey! I’m arriving in Auckland a couple of days before my tour! So I wonder if you could give ME advice about what to do in Auckland! :-)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.