Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Liquids on Flights

12 May 2008 JessCairns said

Default_avatar
Hi Im a little confused... We travelled to Thailand last year and we were allowed to take liquids on board as long as they werent over 100ml but I have heard you cant take any liquids on flights to the UK. Does this include basic toiletries and cosmetics? I dont want anything confiscated cos I heard they do thorough bag checks.
  • 12 May 2008 MJ said

Default_avatar
    http://www.tsa.gov/311

This is the official government website that gives detailed info. This is for the US and Canada and many of the European countries have adopted this as well. Its a good base to go by. If its wet, liquid or gel and you don’t have to have it (ie lip gloss, mmost makeup ect) put it in your check in. If its medication make sure you have a note from your dr and declare anything over 3 oz.
  • 13 May 2008 claire2007 said

Default_avatar

Hi ya,
    I actually work at heathrow airport and i can tell you that you can take liquids a cosmetic in you handluggage as long as they are not over 100 ml, you have to put them in a clear bag which they’ll give you at the airport, this this is the same for all over european counries as well. Hope that helps

• 13 May 2008 JessCairns said

Default_avatar

Thanks everyone. Im glad I can take some things on. Its a long flight from AUS.

• 17 May 2008 EM. said

Default_avatar

I work at Melbourne Airport.
    Its the same deal here. Plastic bag and all.
    Really i would say dont bother with any liquids unless they are absolutely essential. Its not worth security and customs having to pull you aside and you having to throw out items. Just put everything in your check in.

• 17 May 2008 Princessvixen said

Default_avatar

Hi there
    Just make sure the liquids you put in the clear plastic bag are 100ml or less! Very important! I am flying from Brisbane to New York (via Sydney and LA) in a few weeks and I am definitely taking a clear plastic bag with essentials in it (deodorant, moisturiser, lip balm). Air cabins are notoriously dry places and as I suffer from dry skin quite badly I need some relief. I went to a health food shop yesterday and there is also a herbal thing you can buy which comes in a spray or to put on your tongue-it helps you arrive refreshed and less puffy eyed. Don’t forget face wipes-these are great to stay hydrated!
    Hope this helps
    Lisa

• 17 May 2008 Mr.Corbie said

Mr.Corbie

Don’t forget that anything you buy ‘airside’ can be taken on the plane too.. bottles of water and the such

• 18 May 2008 JessCairns said

Default_avatar

Really??? I heard stuff bought airside was still subject to the restrictions. So I can buy a bottle of water and take it on? PS thanks everyone for the great tips.

• 18 May 2008 Princessvixen said

Default_avatar

Yes offtoseetheworld we are referring to carry on baggage only-you can put any size liquid in your suitcase(as long as its nothing illegal of course).

Cheers
    Lisa

• 19 May 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

once you go through security you can buy stuff and carry it on. But keep in mind if you have a connecting flight in another country you’ll have to go through security again.

• 19 May 2008 work2travel said

work2travel

It has been my experience that liquids bought in the airport past the security checks are still not allowed.

I had to throw out a full bottle of coke at the Cancun airport that I bought just before boarding. Also, at the HK airport Cathay Pacific had their own seperate security set up right outside the gate for a flight to Vancouver/New York. I had to show a note from the doctor proving that I was suffering from extreme dehydration in order to be able to bring a bottle of gatorade on board. It took 20 minutes of scrutinizing and calling over a Supervisor for approval. They took away some really pricey lotion from the lady in line ahead of me. She had bought it in one of the airport boutiques after security/customs and argued that to no avail. It went straight into the bin.

Just some more food for thought. Don’t bring anything on board that you wouldn’t be prepared to lose.

• 20 May 2008 Mr.Corbie said

Mr.Corbie

must be different rules for different airlines/airports then as far as airside purchases go. i have been told in most cases you can fly with anything you buy duty free and havent had trouble taking water bottles on board if purchased after security.

• 20 May 2008 JessCairns said

Default_avatar

Hmm… So I can take stuff on as long as its less than 100ml and in a clear plastic bag. I think I will leave the duty free purchases for later then just to be safe. Just a thought tho, why do they sell stuff once you have passed through security and checked your main luggage in, if you cant take it on with you? What are you expected to do with it?

• 20 May 2008 EM. said

Default_avatar

I flew to LA last year.
    United airlines had there own security set up.
    I had to throw 3 cans of v out.
    Now i dont care about the v.
    So i really doubt that you can buy bottles of water after security and bring them on.
    Who cares about water anyway. Get your moneys worth of food and drinks on the plane.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion