Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Restrooms/Toilets (particuarly in Resturants and Clubs)

17 Apr 2009 Ash said

Ash
Hi, I'm 19 year old female, Aussie going on Ultimate EU at the end of August (09).

I understand from other posts I've searched, that you have to pay 1 - 2 Euro to use the rest room, and some of them are of the 'drop'/'squat' variety Roll Eyes
I was just wondering though, if this is just out and about on the streets of the town that you have to pay? Or do you have to pay within resturants and clubs as well etc.

If anyone can provide any information of their own experiences, would be much appreciated Smiler

Ash
  • 18 Apr 2009 LorneB said

LorneB

1-2 euro? What are they using toilets made of gold? 50 cents at the most.

• 18 Apr 2009 Mel said

Mel

I think it depend where you are. In tourist areas which is where contiki goes you find toilets you pay for. when i was in venice we found a free toilet in a cafe but it was dirty and a squat one… therewas no way I was using it… but when we found a paying toilet I had no dramas paying 1 euro for a clean toilet (i have photgraphic evidence of paying the euro coz it was so weird lol…) In all the restaurants and club i went to i never had to pay…. i think the paying ones are mostlypublic toilets so that they remain clean…
    hope thatwas some help

• 19 Apr 2009 Bradleyc123 said

Bradleyc123

I remember a nightclub in Amsterdam, there was a chick actually just sitting in the toilets with a bunch of friends, collecting 50 cents a pop!

And she wouldnt let anyone go if they didnt pay haha

• 19 Apr 2009 Alexi85 said

Alexi85

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!! T-Alf where the hel*l did u find a bathroom like that??? I dry renched as soon as i opened up the photo link!

I would be running in the opposite direction! Pleeeeeeease tell me there are regular toilets in other places? I definately know i would hold it until i found a regular bathroom!

• 20 Apr 2009 Brindabella said

Default_avatar

Yeah T Alf, I agree with Alexi! Looks like someone was murdered in that basin!

• 20 Apr 2009 said

Default_avatar

I think the bathroom T Alf posted is the worst of the worst.

I didn’t experience any bathroom as horrible as that. Or even close to that to be honest.

As you get more south though, the tendency is that you will have squat toilets in the Public/Bars than sit down ones. Restaurants normally have a proper toilet though.

As far as paying, sometimes its a Pound/Euro, sometimes its 50p and sometimes its 2Euros, all depends on where. Normally roadside stops you have to pay, public restrooms you have to pay, but most restaurants and bars its free lol

Paying for the most part means the bathroom is watched by a little old lady who cleans them pretty consistently, so paying might mean a nicer bathroom sometimes.

• 20 Apr 2009 said

Default_avatar

Really? I remember the bathrooms there being pretty nice, at least the ones downstairs in the Lounge area, I could see the upstairs ones being a bit more dodgy but I wouldn’t have expected something that nasty lol

• 20 Apr 2009 JeffersonNYSE said

JeffersonNYSE

I don’t mind paying to use clean facilities, makes sense since someone has to spend the time cleaning it. I remember paying to use in McDonalds even lol oh well.

Squat toilets on the other hand, are for animals and have no place in the civilized world as far as I’m concerned. I’m surprised those same places don’t expect your to go in a bowl and throw it out into the street like they did hundreds of years ago.

That being said, squat toilets do exist, although I only saw them in Italy, but regardless of where they are or how clean they are, avoid them like the plague if at all possible.

• 20 Apr 2009 Mel said

Mel

i was always taught that u should sit on a toilet rather than squat as tensing your muscles can cause an infection but i think id risk it rather than putting any part of my body anywhere near those toilets! eww!!
    fingers crossed its just the guys toilets that are like that!! hehe…

• 20 Apr 2009 Alexi85 said

Alexi85

I have to agree with JeffersonNYSE, squat toilets are for animals and i dont understand what the heck they are doing in europe??

I’d be scared to breathe in there in case i inhaled bacteria and other infectious diseases.

I will definately avoid them and thanks for the pointer Christoff, i will make sure i use the restrooms in the lounge area rather than the one’s upstairs.

Are the ones in the lounge area squat ones too?
    If thats the case then i will go out of the club and use a bathroom in a nearby restaurant if they let me.

And Mel, no u cant get an infection from squating if anything medically it’s a much higher likelyhood u could get an infection from sitting down on a toilet that a thousand others have also sat on. At the same time though i can understand how u would dry rench (as i would!!) if u saw a squating toilet, yuk.

Safest way i found in using public restrooms in general for girls is to avoid sitting on them all together and not touching anything in the cubicle.

• 28 Apr 2009 Ash said

Ash

Thanks very much for all your feed back.
    I had a general idea about the price and now I hav emore of an idea where I will be expected to pay and wont be.

Thanks

• 1 May 2009 Explorer1132663 said

Default_avatar

not in every where
    but nighclubs in london and amesterdam you should do
    my friend last year was in night club in london and when he want to use atoilet he found aman at the door guarded by two strong mens
    this man ask him that he should pay before enter

• 5 May 2009 Kerri-Ellen said

Kerri-Ellen

I should have taken photos of the toilets I have seen throughout asia….whenever i saw a westernized toilet it practically glowed and had a halo and happy music played…definitely a gift from heaven! I didn’t know they had the squat toilets in europe eeeek now I am glad I have been warned

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.