Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Credit card payment on optionals

15 Oct 2010 asheee said

Default_avatar
Hey everyone!

I'm just wondering that when paying for the optionals with a credit card, is it done using a manual "click clack" machine or by using a proper eftpos machine?

Just wondering because I'm thinking of buying a travel card of some kind but i know the commonwealth bank ones allow the click clack machines for payment.

Thanks!
  • 15 Oct 2010 liselise said

liselise

For a lot of optionals you actually pay at the places and that will be with a proper eftpos machine. There were a couple places where you paid the TM and by memory that was a proper eftpos machine. I think the majority of people paid with cash though.

• 15 Oct 2010 ptooma said

Default_avatar

On my reverse Explorer tour, the TM had 2 payments dates – at Queenstown with a “click/clack” (I like how you describe that) and another at Waitomo with a eftpos. Credit cards and cash were accepted. Debt with the eftpos only.

And yes, a few operators did collect their own payments instead.

- Vic

• 14 Dec 2011 Fi_459305 said

Fi_459305

Sorry to bump this forum when it was over a year ago, but Ashlee, did you end up getting a Travel Card and were you able to use it to pay for the optionals on your trip? I’m heading off on the same trip in 2 weeks and considering whether I should get one. It’ll only be worth it if I can use it to pay for optionals cos cash withdrawals are actually cheaper using a normal Cth keycard at an ASB Bank in NZ.

• 18 Dec 2011 LCM said

LCM

Hi Fi
    I took a travel card, cash and a credit card. You can definitely use the travel card to pay for optionals. However if you have a credit card I would suggest that you use that as I found that I got a way better exchange rate than the one I locking in on my travel money card. (like 1.30 instead of 1.21 to the dollar) Btw I only went a month ago so if you have any other qus let me know. Also you are correct about the ASB ATMs (flat withdrawl fee and no international trans fee).

• 20 Dec 2011 Fi_459305 said

Fi_459305

Thanks so much for your response! It’s really helpful to know it can be used before I get one. Think I will get one cos the exchange rate is really good at the moment (NZ dollar was at it’s all-year lowest against the Aussie dollar last week – $1.31 today) and you don’t have to pay any fees when using EFTPOS with the travel card. My current thinking is to use normal bank card for withdrawals at ASB ATMs, travel card for optionals and big purchases, and credit card as emergency backup (or if our dollar goes even higher than the locked in one). Again thanks very much and will def let you know if I have any other Qs! :-)

• 21 Dec 2011 LCM said

LCM

Just so you know that rate is not the rate you will get when you put money on your travel money card or get currency from a bank as that is the rate they buy it from you for. The current sell rate as of today is 1.2457 an it hasn’t been over 1.30 for over two years. I am not trying to change your decision but even when you take fees on the credit card into account you will still get a better rate by using a credit card and if I go back overseas to a country like NZ where it is really safe to use a credit card or eftpos card I won’t be getting a travel money card. It is up to you but I just wish someone had told me that before I went :)

• 22 Dec 2011 Fi_459305 said

Fi_459305

Thanks so much (again) for this! You are absolutely right. I’ve never travelled before so I had no idea that there are different exchange rates and MasterCard’s is way better than the bank’s rate! Even if it drops to 1.27 it will still be better than locking in at 1.24! :-)

• 22 Dec 2011 LCM said

LCM

No worries, I didn’t know that either the first time I traveled. I would still take some cash and a debit card with you as it is best to have different ways of accessing money. These days it is so easy to just use your credit card and then transfer the funds using netbank. Also make sure you put aside more money than you think you will need for optionals as the optionals are always better than what they are described as in the brochure. Also I didn’t find that I spent too much money on souvenirs as most of the places are quite small. I just bought a Jade necklace at the Jade Factory in Hokitika (South Island), a few Pandora charms in the Pandora shop at Auckland Airport (Duty Free!!!) and a couple of little souvenirs. Also it is definitely cheaper in NZ than Aus for everything including food, the tag on the item may say the same price but then you get the benefit of the exchange rate :-D. Feel free to ask more questions if you need :-).

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.