Credit Cards - Europe
Last Updated: 8th Jun 2013
More Tour and Travel Advice for Europe
Generally credit cards and other bank issued cards are a reliable way to access money overseas. In some area of Europe cash machines may be unavailable or out of service.
Store you credit card details separate to your credit card along with copies of your passport, travel documents and other important documents.
Credit cards are accepted in many places in Europe, however, generally cash and travellers cheques are more reliable.
Visa and Mastercard are by far the most widely accepted and useful types of credit card and you should use once of these. You should also carry a totally different back up card separate from your primary card in case it goes missing, is lost, stolen or rejected.
Credit Card Checklist
- Check the expiry date of your card to be sure it does not expire while you are away.
- Ensure you have a P.I.N. access number for your credit card to go along with your signature.
- Ensure that your card is kept in view at all times when paying for goods and services.
- Check the total amount being charged on your sales voucher before you sign it.
- Check that you have received your credit card back after it has been charged.
- Retain all copies of your receipts so that you can verify them against your statements.
- Carry your cards on your person and in your carry on luggage.
- Never leave cards unattended in hotel rooms or any other place.
- Report any loss or theft of your cards immediately.
Please note: Contiki does not accept credit cards as payment for optional excursions, You can however make hotel and other bookings in Europe on your card.
“My bank told me I needed a 4-digit pin for my bank card last year, in order to withdraw money from ATMs. Make sure you know the actual numbers, (rather than memorizing a word), because they don’t have letters on the numbers over there! Also, get your bank to temporarily increase the amount of money you can take out at an ATM overseas before you go over…this way you can take out a bunch of money every few days instead of a little bit everyday (saves on fees).”
- Smackie , Canada, Posted 20 Jun 2007
Add a Comment Comments (3)
I went through you post and i am very impressed on this article especially Credit Card Checklist. Research and development credit
Hi, I do believe this can be a fantastic website. I stumbledupon it ;) I’ll revisit again considering the fact that I book-marked it. Money and independence is the greatest solution to alter, may perhaps you be wealthy and keep on to guidebook other people.
expedia.com coupon codes
I was able to find good advice from your content.