Last Updated: 14th Nov 2013
Currency: Egyptian Pound (official), Euro (unofficial), US Dollar (unofficial)
Language: Arabic (Egyptian dialect), English and French widely understood
Visas: A vast majority of passport holders can obtain a visa upon entering Egypt. This is often cheaper than obtaining one before you leave home. You should however check Egyptian Consulate web sites for the most up to date information on visa requirements and costs.
The Pyramids, the Sphinx and the Nile have come to represent Egypt but they are only the beginning of what this huge and diverse country has to offer. Visiting Cairo, the sprawling and buzzing capital is a must while the Pyramids have lured people to the plains of Giza for millennia.
The Pyramids and the Sphinx are just the beginning however as the sands of the Sahara also offer up the Temples at Karnak and Luxor while Abu Simbel in the south is a highlight for many others visiting the region.
The Sahara Desert and the Nile River are also must sees while for those lucky enough, crystal clear waters of the Red Sea in places like Hurgada provide a welcome and surprising break to the sand of the desert.
Manners and Customs
- Egyptians are extremely friendly and helpful people.
- English and French are widely understood along side the most common and official language of Modern Arabic.
- Egypt is a very, very safe country. Tourism is a highly valued industry and security is high particularly around busy tourist areas.
- Although Egypt is a predominantly Moslem country, as with Christian countries, there are some who follow religion more strictly than others.
- Be prepared to bargain and barter for almost everything – it’s a way of life.
- ‘Baksheesh’ is a form of tipping that refers to everything from giving money to beggars to tipping for service and even what some would consider bribery. Giving baksheesh is very common in Egypt.
- There is certainly no need for women to cover up their head, shoulders or legs while visiting the country however loose, longer clothes can also help protect you from the sun as well as showing your respect for local customs.
- Although not consumed by strict Muslims, alcohol is available and Stella beer (different to Stella Artois) is popular.
- Drinking bottled water is a must as microbes in Egyptian water often do not agree with many visitors digestive systems. Drugs such as Imodium and stomach calming medicines should be a must for most people.
- The food on tour is a mix of Egyptian and more familiar foods.
- Although very safe and relatively comfortable for tourists, Egypt is essentially a third world country and you should be prepared to experience very different ways of living.
- Egyptian restrooms outside of hotels, etc are often very basic and it may be of use to bring your own toilet paper.
- Most of Egypt is a desert and you should be prepared to be exposed to hot, dry desert conditions. Sun protection is a must and you should keep up your fluid levels to avoid dehydration.
- What to pack for your trip to Egypt.
Art and Culture
Egypt is home to over 5000 years of know human history and was home to one of the greatest civilizations the earth has ever seen. As such there is a massive wealth of art, culture and history that has been accumulated over the years. Places like the Egyptian Museum in Cairo are great places to check out artifacts from ancient Egypt as well as more modern Egyptian works of art.
Like the rest of Africa, soccer (football) reins supreme.
Haggling and bartering is a way of life when shopping in Egypt and it’s fun to get involved in. Some of the more famous Egyptian products to keep your eye out for include carpets, rugs Egyptian cotton goods, jewelery and cartouches, papyrus prints, perfume, oils, sheesha pipes, herbs and spices, alabaster and the regular tourist trinkets and faire.
Places Contiki Visits in Egypt
- Cairo (including Giza and Sakkara)
- Abu Simbel
- Hurguada and the Red Sea
- The Sahara and the Nile
Add a Comment Comments (42)
Daptkan informasi lowongan kerja terbaru dari situs lowongan kerja www.carikerja.co yaitu
Lowongan Kerja Bandung carikerja.co
Lowongan Kerja Surabaya carikerja.co
Lowongan Kerja Jakarta carikerja.co carikerja.co
Lowongan Kerja Cikarang carikerja.co
Lowongan Kerja Tangerang carikerja.co
Lowongan Kerja Karawang carikerja.co
tea premix | lcd projector | cctv camera suppliers mumbai |company registration consultants |biometric attendance system price |advertising agency in mumbai |fire extinguisher price | air conditioning dealers | pest control |seo experts in mumbai | seo company in mumbai | laser printer repair | pc amc serices | technical support for companies |
Who said women do not have to cover up their shoulders when they visit. Yes you do and out of respect of their customs, I would. The men there are dirty. They do not know their boundaries against women. If you want to feel safe Go Contiki. Sherif is an awesome tour guide, he’s the best.
I do like this egypt and yes I am looking forward to go there and explore the country. This for sure everything will then be alright once the right time comes. what does fluoride do
I have never been in Egypt so I hope that one day I will have the opportunity to visit this exotic country. I really want to see the pyramids… Anyway thanks a lot for sharing this great post. I really enjoyed reading about your experience! Mike from propecia
Thanks so much for this wonderful website as well as this post. This post is the kind of thing that keeps me on track through. I’ve been looking around for this site after I heard about them from a buddy and was thrilled. Thanks a bunch.
professional writing service
Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful This is a great inspiring article I am pretty much pleased with your good work Im still waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in your next post thanks.
It is wonderful. Thank you for your sharing. My friend bought a very high quality from Jerseys. He said that the jerseys on this website is not only cheap but also very excellent in quality. operacion-hemorroides proctologia
This is great post. I actually searched for this type of post. Thus i am here. I read the post and amused to see its content. This is really a helpful post. Thanks for sharing this kind of informative post. thesis writing
It’s great to visit places you have never been before. Definitely an exciting adventure..
carpet cleaning San Bruno
Increased Insurance plan Support is definitely an revolutionary, action-oriented firm devoted to the “customer first” support ethic. Many of us use those who demonstrate perseverance for you to brilliance throughout customer satisfaction along with exactly who treat clients, both equally inner along with outside, using respect along with courtesy. We’re devoted to consistently determined for you to surpass throughout customer satisfaction along with enterprise exercise.
Every type sports News. Football, Cricket, Online games, games, Tennis, College basketball, Cycling. On Weekday,CaroWozniacki tweeted a pic of herself signing autographs inCincinnati, where the sport humans has gathered this period for the Sandwich & Austral Ajar. Apparently in the downplay is McIlroy, clean off a unsatisfying 64th-place move in the PGA Championship on Sunday. He was signing autographs as rise.
It’s good to see this information in your post, i was looking the same but there was not any proper resource, thanx now i have the link which i was looking for my research.Interesting post. I have been wondering about this issue,so thanks for posting.
Cairo in Egypt is one of the places I want to visit before I get 50-Year-Old.
Sugar Land carpet cleaners
I found your website perfect for my needs. It contains wonderful and helpful posts. I have read most of them and got a lot from them. To me, you are doing the great work. Carry on this. work at home In the end, I would like to thank you for making such a nice website. Or where I could also share some of my ranches for sale details for you all budy who come up here
I am absolutely amazed at how terrific the stuff is on this site. I have saved this webpage and I truly intend on visiting the site in the upcoming days. Keep up the excellent work!
Study In UK
Now I am also thinking of visiting Egypt but I think it’s not possible for me to go there. Well, I am currently happy with my life and I should have to live it according to God’s will. varices montréal
Very nice site and article. Amazing one, i appreciate this work…. This is a wonderful post I just want to emphasize the good work on this , has excellent views and a clear vision of what you are looking for…
Hair transplant in Lahore
This is a good post. This post give truly quality information.I’m definitely going to look into it.Really very useful tips are provided here.thank you so much.Keep up the good works
Rochester Furniture Stores