Last Updated: 24th Feb 2014
Language: Slovenian, or Slovene, is the nation’s official language; English is widely understood because it is taught as a second language; Italian and Hungarian are also used in nationally mixed areas
Visas: Travel Visa Information
Basic Country Information
- Although only a small Central European country, Slovenia is blessed with beautiful and diverse lands filled with Alps, mountains, lakes, rivers, castles, small coast, forests, plains and hills."
- Slovenes chose independence as the Republic of Slovenia in 1991. In the 5th century, Slovenians had their own state called Carantania later known as Carinthia which was centred around Klagenfurt.
- Slovenians are relaxed people who have much in common with western Europeans due to Slovenia being a part of the Central European Holy Roman Empire between the years 800 and 1806.
- Many Slovenians are very understanding of how difficult their language is to learn and to use and are more than willing to help visitors who cannot speak Slovenian.
- Slovenia is also known for its historic castles, world famous Lipizzaner horses, skiing, hiking, great wines and delicious traditional food. Skiing is a national sport which plays an important role in Slovenian culture.
Places Contiki Visits in Slovenia