Suggested packing list - Australia
Last Updated: 19th Apr 2014
More Tour and Travel Advice for Australia
What to pack for travel to other parts of the world
The following is a suggested packing list for an Australian tour.
People are individuals though and often have personal preferences and opinions as to what to bring. The following then is not a definitive list, but should give you a good guide as to what you should pack for your Australian tour.
- 1 rain jacket
- 1 warm jacket
- 2 pairs of jeans
- 3 casual shirts
- 2 T-shirts
- Jacket and trousers or dresses (for evenings out)
- 1 warm sweater
- Socks (lots)
- Underwear (lots)
- Swim wear and towel
- Comfortable shoes (for outdoor activities)
- Sandals/thongs/flip flops
- Going out shoes
- Toiletry bag and contents
- 1 small bath towel
- Suntan lotion
- Insect repellent
- Washing powder
- Sewing kit
- Writing materials
- Power adapters
- Day bag
- Overnight bag if travelling to Cape Tribulation or taking the Sailing the Whitsundays option
The Australian sun is very harsh and you should also consider clothing that protects you from sunburn.
Label your suitcase inside and out with your name and your home address and perhaps attach a sticker, ribbon, patch or other unique identifier to your luggage to make it easier to spot.
Carry a copy of your passport, visas, travel and other important documents as well as your travellers cheque numbers (if you use them) with you in your luggage. You should also leave a copy of all this information at home with someone trusted and contactable while you are away.
Don’t pack your travel documents and passport in your luggage, rather take it with you in your carry luggage.
Tours to the Northern Territory
On tours traveling to the Northern Territory you should also consider packing:
- Hiking shoes or trainers – there is a lot of walking to be done in the outback
- A hat and water bottle – to help deal with the desert heat
- Clothes that can get dirty – the red dirt of the desert can make white clothes dirty very quickly
More information regarding Laundry Facilities as you travel through Australia.