Tips on Saving for a Trip
Last Updated: 24th Nov 2014
Based on the Contiki Forums Topic Personal Loan or Hard Saving..?
Save on Tour Costs and Flights
- Shop around for the best deals for airfares etc You would be amazed at how much prices can vary. Get quotes and do your sums and book early for the most inexpensive tickets, also departing/arriving between Tues-Thursday will cut the ticket cost.
- Try and not go in peak season (from June till the end of August & December/school holidays)
- Check for deals from both Contiki and travel agents.
Tips on Cutting Down Costs In Order to Save
- Cut back on going out…movies,pizza,drinks anything you can think of – a night at home with a DVD and friends is a lot cheaper (and sometimes more fun) than a night out at a club.
- Make a weekly or monthly budget (depending on when you get paid). Work out how much you think your trip will cost including spending money and then work out how much you need to save per week, and stick to it.
- Bring your lunch to work and don’t eat out.
- Cut down on little luxuries (for example: Starbucks – only one or 2 small cups a week, saves loads of money).
- Buy Generic
- Everytime you see something you would like to buy. Stop and ask yourself is it a want or a need. If its a want you can do without it. If its clothing which is your weakness ask yourself if this item can match with 5 different things you have in your wardrobe if it doesnt it is not a smart purchase.
- Saving is hard work! Reward yourself when you reach big milestones (ie your first $2000 etc) otherwise you will get bored very quickly.
Getting Money Together
- Pay extra on those credit cards you can always use them for the trip as well
- If your vacation time happens to fall around a paid day off take advantage of it.
- If you have a birthday, christmas, graduation or other event coming up ask for cash for your trip instead of presents – it’s a big help.
- Get a high % payback savings account to gain interest or an investment bank account where u can out money in but only take it out if u go into the bank. Put anything extra in your bank account after you get your paycheck into your savings.
- Try not to take out a loan – suck it up and save save save! – If you want to get a loan ask your parents and swear to them that you will pay them back monthly payments its easier to pay your parents back with no interest than to pay a bank. Parents are usually more lenient if you are late. Make sure you can, will and do pay them back though!
- Anything you haven’t used in over a year, sell it on ebay.