Every Contiki is filled with exciting moments and shared fun with your new friends. It’s also about having your own time for that random travel tale to tell or finding a special little corner of New Zealand to remember.
We pack plenty of free time in to each tour so once we’ve shown you the main sights, there’s time to make it yours. Explore with people in your group, or take time out on your own to chat with the locals, read a book in the park or just wander and see where the moment takes you.
If you need ideas, we have tons of awesome optional extras and we can book them for you too so you make the most of your spare time.
Every Contiki tour gets you access to some of the big sights and experiences, but designing your own adventure is half the fun. Get started with a few of these ideas:
- Go white water rafting down the Shotover River
- Skydive over Queenstown from 15,000ft
- Learn a Maori phrase from the locals in Rotorua
- Watch a rugby game at Eden Park
- Go for a walk along Wellington’s waterfront
- Take a tour of Middle Earth
- Chill at the beach
- Pan for gold in Arrowtown
- Bungy jump from 440ft at Nevis Bluff
- Walk up Dunedin’s Baldwin St, the world’s steepest street
- Go on a wine trail in the Wairarapa
- Check out the mud pools and thermal spas in Rotorua
- Take the ferry over to Auckland's North Shore
Milford Sound in Fiordland National Park is one of the world’s top places to see. The scenery is epic, with huge mountains rising straight out of the sea and waterfalls pouring down its sheer cliffs.
Get the ultimate angle from on board a boat. Chill out and enjoy the gorgeous scenery from on deck, and see some of the more hidden spots. If you’re lucky you might even see dolphins, whales, seals and penguins.
Take the coach over and back, or there’s the option to fly back to Queenstown too.