- Follow @contiki_us
Not a member yet? Sign up
4th Nov 2013
25 Reasons Brisbane is probably better than Sydney and Melbourne by Daniel Colasimone
It's not uncommon to hear Brisbanites, making disparaging remarks about the River City, and comparing it unfavourably to the big smokes down south.
Sure, the New South Wales and Victorian capitals are grand, but as a long-time Brisbane fan I think there is plenty to be proud about in this river-bound metropolis. It’s time Brisbane shook off its country-bumpkin rep’ and started playing with the big boys.
I can think of literally thousands of reasons why Brisbane is better than Sydney and Melbourne, but, for the sake of brevity, here are the first 25 that come to mind:
1. In Brisneyland, Bikram Yoga isn't a thing you pay for. If we want to do yoga in 40 degree heat, we just go and do it outside during the summer months.
2. Our team won three AFL premierships in a row and we don't care that much about AFL, or even know all the rules.
3. Hotter weather equals less clothes. No need to spend money on your fancy scarves, turtleneck sweaters, and berets up here. Mate.
4. We're further away from Adelaide. Ouch. Sorry Adelaide, I didn't really mean that.
5. Brisbane does not tend to hang on to historical buildings for sentimental reasons, as is common in Sydney and Melbourne. We knock 'em down and replace them with newer, less-charming-but-more-efficient structures. We even got rid of those pesky trams back in '69. Try to keep up, Melbourne.
For 20 more reasons click here!
TUL Note: After a six-year stint as a freelance journalist in Buenos Aires, Daniel is back in Brisbane to find that his knowledge of Argentinian football is of little practical value here. Luckily, his other areas of expertise, such as eating food, drinking wine, and writing about it, are applicable across most cultures.