The music institution ranks the music of its lifetime
For the past 60 years NME has been at the forefront of music journalism. The brand takes a look at the 100 greatest tracks that have been released in their history...
The list is full of a diverse range of artists (some you may find rather peculiar), with David Bowie and The Beatles making a few appearances on the list along with contemporary artists like Azealia Banks, whose 2011 release 212 ranks in at 95.
We've included music videos for the top three here, and listed the rest of the top ten below - along with a link out to the complete list. Anything missing?
1. Love Will Tear Us Apart (1980) - Joy Division
2. Common People (1995) - Pulp
3. Heroes (1977) - David Bowie
4. Good Vibrations (1966)- The Beach Boys
5. Blue Monday (1983) - New Order
6. She Bangs the Drums (1989) - The Stone Roses
7. There is a light that never goes out (1986) - The Smiths
8. Ghost Town (1981) - The Specials
9. Fix Up, Look Sharp (2003) - Dizzee Rascal
10. Wonderwall (1995) - Oasis