Get On The Bus – Press Release
CONTIKI VACATIONS UTILIZES SOCIAL MEDIA TO LAUNCH “GET ON THE BUS” CONTEST
U.S. Facebook Fans have the opportunity to network their way to the Contiki trip of a lifetime
Anaheim, Calif. (February 21, 2011) – Picture this – you and four friends “living the dream” on a vacation worth up to $25,000 dollars. Interested? Starting February 23, U.S. fans of Contiki Vacations’ Facebook page can celebrate their lifestyle with a trip to one of eight destinations around the world when they compete to “Get On The Bus.” (www.Contiki.com/GetOnTheBus) Contiki continues to reinforce its position as the preferred travel brand of the youth market with another innovative campaign designed specifically for their internet-savvy audience.
The Contiki “GOTB” competition allows users aged 18-35 to pick and name a bus, choose their trip, pack it with four friends and amass as many “likes” as possible. The bus grabbing the most votes wins the Contiki vacation and scores the latest gear courtesy of O’Neill clothing. (www.Contikilifestyle.com) The passenger personalities are displayed through an interactive platform that incorporates their musical tastes, interests, gender, average age, and travel styles. The personalization adds an exciting game-like element to the program not found in your basic online giveaways. Contiki hired digital agency, Affinitive, to develop “GOTB” to utilize the Facebook platform. It is the first contest of its kind to leverage Facebook’s Open Graph in a truly innovative way, integrating user preferences and using the “Like” button as a voting mechanism.
“This interactive campaign on Facebook generates a shared excitement that is in many ways similar to the shared energy and excitement that comes with actual Contiki travel. It’s a social event,” said Greg Fischbein, President of Contiki Vacations. “The opportunity to travel abroad with a group of young like-minded people, to step outside our routines and comfort zones, to adventure, to discover, and to create experiences that last a lifetime – that’s Contiki.”
Participants choose from the following Contiki tours:
- Italian Espresso (Europe) – 9 days involving gondolas, pasta, wine, the Leaning Tower of Pisa and channeling your inner gladiator at the Coliseum (http://contiki.com/tours/132-italian-espresso)
- Ireland (Europe) – 9 days enjoying Irish hospitality, walking the medieval towns, reveling in the pubs, and kissing the Blarney Stone (http://contiki.com/tours/239-ireland)
- European Magic (Europe) - 11 days to sample Amsterdam, storm a castle, and shop the Champs Elysees as you travel England, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, and France (http://contiki.com/tours/122-european-magic-2)
- Greek Island Hopping (Europe) – 14 days of sparkling blue coastal waters, suntanning on white sand beaches, and breaking plates over a bottle of Ouzo on the islands of Mykonos, Santorini, and Ios (http://contiki.com/tours/131-greek-island-hopping)
- Eastern Road (Europe) – 13 days filled with beer gardens in Germany, partying on the St.Charles bridge in Prague, indulging in schnitzels in Austria, and taking in the culture and history of Hungary, Slovakia, and Poland (http://contiki.com/tours/101-eastern-road)
- Asian Adventure (Southeast Asia) – 14 days savoring the flavors of Eastern cuisine, visiting iconic temples, the bright lights of Bangkok, and the sunrise over Angkor Wat as you adventure through Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia (http://contiki.com/tours/221-asian-adventure)
- Cairns Sunshine Trail (Australia) – 15 days of catching waves at Surfer’s Paradise, riding a 4WD through the rainforest, staying at an eco-lodge, and snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef (http://ontiki.com/tours/42-cairns-sunshine-trail-start-cairns)
- Scenic Southern (New Zealand) – 12 days in the “Adventure Capital of the World,” bungee jumping off the Kawarau Bridge, jetboating, canyon swinging, glacier climbing, and maybe spot a Hobbit or two! (http://contiki.com/tours/92-scenic-southern-clockwise)
The “Get On The Bus” contest starts rolling February 23 through March 31, 2011 on Contiki’s Facebook page. To participate, visit www.Contiki.com/GetOnTheBus. “Don’t miss the bus!”
Contiki Vacations, the worldwide leader in travel for 18 to 35 year olds, takes students and young professionals on tour to experience the world’s most fantastic destinations. The trips are hassle-free and include a perfect blend of sightseeing, culture and free time. With over 190 itineraries throughout Europe, Russia, Egypt, Southeast Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Canada & the USA, Contiki has an experience for everyone. For more information, visit Contiki.com.
Affinitive is a leading provider of word-of-mouth (WOM) and social media marketing and technology solutions with offices in New York and San Francisco. For more information, visit http://www.beaffinitive.com .