Attention all Forum Users.
We’re working on a brand new shiny tool to make your experience as simple as possible.
Which means the community forums is now read only whilst we work on a new & improved ‘My Contiki’ space.


Europe - visas

8 Apr 2011 Nishaad asked


I am from South Africa and am doing the european impressions trip.
What visas do I need to apply for?

  • Read the responses 14 responses so far
  • 8 Apr 2011 whythetorment said


    Hi, also from SA but we are going to do european encounter in oct.

    Our travel agent said we need a Schengen visa and a UK visa. What they basically told us with the Schengen is, that you need to apply at the embassy of the country where you will stay the longest, or first point of entry. Which will be France for you.

    Here is a nice link for you that will explain it :

    Hope that helps.

  • 10 Apr 2011 Nishaad said


    Great, thanks a lot.

  • 18 Jul 2011 ilke said


    Do you have to have all your Contiki papers (i.e full payment) before you can apply for a Visa??

  • 22 Jul 2011 Nishaad said


    Yeah, the consulates usually require proof of payment to the tour operator as well as proof that return air tickets have been booked.

  • 22 Jul 2011 ilke said



  • 26 Jul 2011 MichaelZA said


    Also from South Africa – you need a Shengen as well as UK. If you’re from Johannesburg, the UK office is in Sandton City. You can only apply for a VISA 3 months before departure. They keep your passport while processing, so don’t try apply for both at the same time. Expect to spend around R1600 for both VISA’s, if I’m not mistaken.

  • 13 Sep 2011 ShazB said


    Hi I’m from Durban. can anyone tell me about the photo needed for the UK visa. 1 site says white background but the rest say cream/off white. I got a white background but am worried its not right.
    Also does Durban have a French embassy?


  • 14 Sep 2011 Nishaad said


    Hi Shaz. You should be fine with the white background as long as its not too bright.
    I’m not sure if Durban does have a consulate..I suggest you apply for your french visa via this site :
    I used this and it was quite quick and easy.

  • 14 Sep 2011 ShazB said


    Thanks Nishaad :-)

  • 6 Nov 2012 Sands said


    Hi, Im from Johannesburg, SA and im going on the European Magic departing 27th Dec 2012. What Shengen visa do i need to apply for and where?

  • 7 Nov 2012 Nishaad said


    Hi Sands, you apply for the Schengen visa at the consulate of the country where you will be spending the most time. if you are spending an equal amount of time in 2 or more countries, then you apply for the country which would be your first point of entry into europe.

  • 24 Jan 2013 Nelisha_N said


    The Visa’s can only be granted three months before departure?? Is there an exception of some sort, I am also South African but will be in the US from May to September then depart to London and begin my tour there. September 6th 2013 – European Panorama. Any other possible routes? Seems like I’d have to come back into the country in order to get my documents and wait three months? Geez..

  • 5 Apr 2013 Chandre A said

    Chandre A

    Hi, im also from SA based in Cape Town and doing London & Paris the first week in June, my travel agent sent me some info on the Schengen visa, its too long to post here and the link for uk visa is or or Tel: +27 (0) 861 837 221. I have to do both uk and schengen visa and busy getting all my docs at the moment for both.

  • 30 Jun 2015 jjpv said


    Hi I also need the Schengen visa for my trip. What would happen if I don’t receive the visa. Can I ask for a refund??

We are no longer accepting new responses to this discussion thread.

More Discussions

Related Discussions

Discussions Details

Last response over 2 years

This question was posted about almost 7 years ago. It has been discussed 14 times.

8 people are following this discussion.

  • Default_avatar
  • Default_avatar
  • Default_avatar
  • ShazB
  • Default_avatar
  • Nelisha_N
  • Chandre A
  • Default_avatar



Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.