Had a great time.
But why average?
Major reason was that I got sick from the people in this tour really early on!
When I joined the tour, most (if not all) the people were SICK and to catch something from them is a BIG BIG BUMMER. I was practically self-medicating since day 1.
It really was inevitable not to be sick:
- In the coach for long periods of time (travelling from one place to another)
- Worst, to share room with sick people!
It really spoil the overall experience:
- I was feeling sick most of the tour, worst towards the end
- I could have done more, see more, experience more (maximizing my whole trip, which I did not)
- my two days extension in London on my own right after the tour ended was practically burnt as I was so sick by the time I got to London (I spent most of the two days staying-in and eating in the hotel)
For this kind of modular trip, I would suggest segregation of sick and non-sick, especially for those who join at the tail-end of the full tour (like what I did).
I am all for room-sharing and meeting new people (if not I would not have chosen Contiki in the first place) but it really could have been a much better experience/time for me if it weren't for the above.