The role of Trip Manager for Contiki is a demanding yet fulfilling one. Our Trip Managers are responsible for the day to day running of our European trips - getting our travellers from city to city, pointing out the best sights and sounds of Europe and making sure everyone has a great time along the way. We look for people with personality and passion, who are fun, friendly, and approachable and most of all who enjoy looking after other people.
Contiki is the world's leading trip operator for 18-35's. When working for us you're undertaking not only a job but a lifestyle. A life that involves travelling to some of the most exotic destinations in the world with some of the most amazing people you'll ever meet.
As a member of our road crew, you will be the face of Contiki - dealing with our passengers each day and ensuring that they have the holiday of a lifetime! We have high expectations of our road crew - only the best will do. We've been at the top of our game for the past 58 years and that's where we intend to stay!
To be a part of our team you'll need to:
- Be passionate about travel and Europe - you must be willing to learn and have the desire to keep on learning.
- Be enthusiastic and motivated - we expect you to work hard for our company and for our travellers.
- Have great time management skills.
- Be responsible and professional at all times.
- Have the ability to deal with all types of people - our travellers come from all around the globe; they speak many languages and have many difference expectations.
- Enjoy a challenge - our training trip and the job itself will constantly present you with many different and difficult situations.
- Be positive and have the ability to deal with all situations in a calm and mature manner.
- Be a problem solver - you will have to assist travellers with lost passports, when they have injuries or need to visit a hospital, conflict of personalities, etc.
- Work well as part of a team - when you are on your trip you will be working with your Trip Driver, On Site Team Members, local suppliers and local guides - you will be a part of a very big picture.
You must be able to work in Europe. This means being the holder of one of the following:
- European or UK Passport
- "Right of Abode" for the United Kingdom
- "Residency" for the United Kingdom
- Valid work visa for the UK.
If you do not currently have any of the above but you are eligible, you may still apply for the position of Trip Manager. Please note we cannot sponsor people for this position. You must have a valid work visa before commencing training. Please check the UK Home Office website for details if you are unsure before applying.
Applicants from USA please note that it can be very difficult for you to obtain a UK working visa and we cannot offer you a position on the training trip until after you have a visa - we do not sponsor these positions. Currently, we only have Trip Managers from USA who hold a European or UK passport.
Although not required, the following will be of benefit to you in your application for this position:
- Experience working with and leading groups.
- Confidence when speaking in front of a group.
- Previous travel in Europe.
- Having previously travelled with Contiki or participated in a group tour of some description.
We will be opening applications for European Multi-Regional Positions in the second half of 2021 for our 2022 season with a view to hold interviews in Australia and London towards the end of the year 2021 and early 2022. You may register your interest now and we will let you know when applications open.
We do not offer interviews by telephone or Skype as we cannot assess all of our key criteria for the Trip Managers position in this way. Interpersonal skills are important, and we can't figure this out with technology in the way we would like to. If you wish to apply for the position you must be available to interview in person in London.
Once we have reviewed your application you will hear from us via email. We will be using a video interviewing platform as a part of our recruitment process. If we think that you may be suitable for a position, we will invite you to partake in a virtual video interview. This technology will allow us to connect with you quickly and conduct our initial assessment. Video interviewing also gives us the opportunity to learn more about your personality and your work experience.
The next stage will be an invitation to participate in one of our group interviews (in either Sydney or London). For this interview you will be asked to prepare a short talk on a subject concerning Europe - we will choose a topic for you to prepare ahead of time with specific guidelines. If successful at this stage we will invite you to an individual interview; this individual interview will typically be held on the following day.
Following a successful individual interview you will be offered a position on one of our 2022 European Training Trips. To secure your place on a training trip you will be required to pay a bond of €300.00. This amount is fully refundable upon the successful completion of your first Contiki trip.
Refunds will not be given to those who change their mind about attending, who do not successfully complete the training trip or do not subsequently work as a Trip Manager post training.
On receipt of your bond we will send you your pre-training trip assignment to be completed and submitted by a specified date. This assignment will help you begin learning about Europe's history, geography, politics and current events as well as the Contiki product. All of these aspects of knowledge are vital for becoming a successful Trip Manager.
Training begins in March 2022 and involves 10 weeks travelling in Europe. You will visit all of our major destinations throughout Europe and along the way learn the skills of Trip Managing. Our training trips are renowned for being intense and very challenging so the more advance preparation you undertake the better off you will be. An offer of contract work will not be made until you have successfully completed the full training trip.
When you work for Contiki you are joining a global brand; your opportunities to further your expertise stretch from Russia and Scandinavia to Australia, Asia and New Zealand. Given the reputation of our training program, you will always go far in the fields of travel, tourism and beyond.