This article originally appeared on PEDESTRIAN.TV and was scribed by travel-thirsty editor, Lucinda Price.
If you love… old stuff, you’re gonna love this: two previously unseen tombs in Egypt are opening to the public.
Two small, ancient tombs in the southern Nile city of Luxor, estimated to be around 3,500 years old, are reportedly being opened by the government in an effort to increase tourism.
The tombs were discovered by a German archeologist in 1990, in Draa Abul Naga, an area long known for its cemeteries and temples. Despite being uncovered over 25 years ago, they were kept sealed up until this year.
Inside are burial shafts and and ancient artefacts, including figurines, wall paintings and wooden masks. The biggest drawcard though is the linen-wrapped mummy that experts believe could be a senior official from Egypt’s ‘New Kingdom’, called Djehuty Mes. They believe it could be him because his name is engraved on one of the walls, or it could be a scribe called Maati whose name – and the name of his wife, Mehi – are written on funerary cones, officials said.
“It’s truly an exceptional day,” said Egyptian Antiquities Minister Khaled al-Anani at the tombs’ unveiling on December 9. “The 18th dynasty private tombs were already known. But it’s the first time to enter inside the two tombs.”
While it’s currently unclear whether or not people will be granted access inside the tombs, the objects were unveiled to press just last week.