MUNCH: Easy peasy 10 minute tacos
The taco is kind of like the holy trinity of foods – it’s cheap, it’s easy, and it tastes like a Latin American party in your mouth.
Looking for some mid-week dinner inspo? Look no further – these easy peasy 10 minute tacos from MUNCH tick all the boxes. Watch the video above, then DIY for you and yours…
INGREDIENTS (serves 8)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 200g/7oz portobello/shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 100g/3½oz tomato purée
- 1 tsp cocoa powder (optional)
- 150ml/5fl oz vegetable stock
- 2 x 400g tinned kidney beans, or mixed beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the onion, garlic and celery until soft. Add the mushrooms and chillies and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato purée and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. When the mushrooms are soft, add the cocoa powder (if using) and stock and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, then add the beans and cook for a further 10-12 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced and the beans are all heated through. To serve, place 2-3 tablespoons of the bean chilli in each taco shell. Top with the grated cheese, chopped coriander (if using), and a spoon of yoghurt and put on plates.
- Get 12 ready-made taco shells, warmed
- 150g/5oz Monterey Jack (or mild cheddar) cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander (optional)
- 200ml/7fl oz plain yoghurt
Want a taste of Latin America for yourself? Oh boy, have we got you covered…check out Contiki’s trips to Latin America here.