Happy Mardi Gras, or more specifically, happy Sydney Mardi Gras, one of the world’s biggest and best spectacular celebrations of LGBTQI pride.
Attracting over 20,000 interstate and international visitors every year, Sydney Mardi Gras is pretty much known as one of the best parties of the year. People from all walks of life take to the streets to join hands, celebrate individuality, party with the parade and general get down with the LGBTQI community.
So in the spirit of celebration, we thought what better way to kick off the party than by launching our brand new food series MUNCH with some super adorable and party pleasing rainbow cupcakes – the perfect party treat to get you in the Mardi Gras mood. Have a watch of the video above, then have a go yourself following the super simple method…
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g butter
- 130g self-raising flour
- 20g cornflour
- 3 medium eggs
- 30ml milk
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 6 different food colours (red, blue, green, yellow, orange, purple)
- Rainbow sprinkles
For the Icing:
- 500g icing sugar
- 250g unsalted butter
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 3tbsp milk
For the cakes:
- Preheat your oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas mark 3. Place 10 cases in your muffin tin.
- Beat the sugar and butter with the vanilla essence until light and fluffy.
- Add 1 egg, 1/3 of the flour and a splash of milk and beat until just combined and repeat until all the ingredients are used up.
- Add 2 ice cream scoops of the cake batter to each ziplock bag, then add food colour to each one, adding more if required and massage until you have the desired colour.
- Starting with either red or purple, snip the corner off the bag a squeeze a layer covering the bottom of the 10 cases. Then with the other colours, squeeze a layer of batter over the previous colour. Use a toothpick to move the batter around, so as to cover the previous colour.
- When you have completed all the colours, bake in the oven for 25-30 mins depending on your oven.
- Remove and cool in the tins for 10 mins before moving to a wire cooling rack.
For the buttercream:
- Put all the ingredients into a large bowl and beat until smooth and shiny.
- Once the rainbow cakes are cool, spread or pipe (Wilton 1M tip) onto the tops of the cupcakes. To pipe the swirl, start in the centre of the cupcake and work outwards to the paper, using this as a guide follow it round and build up into a swirl. To finish push down slightly and pull up quickly. Decorate with rainbow sprinkles.