The top things to pack and remember for travel to America
We’ve teamed up with Tully Smyth , an ex-reality TV star, model and social butterfly, to get to the bottom of your packing woes. A travel blogger, foodie and all-round top gal with a strong gram game of 238k followers, Tully recently went to America, on Contiki’s Grand Southern trip.
She considers herself a bit of a tomboy at heart and loves nothing more than travelling the world. But somehow, she still manages to over-pack. Check out her recommendations on what to pack and remember throughout the USA.
#1: APPLY FOR AN ESTA BEFORE YOU GO
An ESTA visa application is absolutely necessary for travel to the USA for holiday or business trips that are 90 days or less. It’s a relatively speedy process, but it isn’t free. If you plan on getting through USA customs you must apply well in advance of your trip to avoid not being able to enter the country (that’s never fun).
Good to know: No funny business with airport security & be prepared to have your body scanned through domestic and international flights.
#2: CLOTHING IS NOT OPTIONAL
- Casual clothes for daytime activities
- Denim shorts
- Dresses or playsuits
- Handful of party outfits for nights out
Top tip: Roll your clothes to get the max out of your suitcase/backpack!
#3: ACCESSORIES & SHOES
- Comfort is key
- Pair of sneakers for daytime super fun activities or shopping
- Flip-flops, thongs or sandals – whatever works for you!
- Sunscreen for outdoor activities
- Dry shampoo
- Hand sanitizer
- Make up
Hot tip: Try keep your toiletries in a plastic or waterproof bag in case of leakage.
#5: TECHNOLOGY & IMPORTANT BITS
- Power adapter and power board with a double adaptor
- Camera or GoPro
- Ladies, hair straightener
- Travel documents locked and loaded online, a copy given to relatives or friends
- Suitcase labelled with your name and home address
- Prescription for any medication you may need (Panadol, vitamins, anti-allergy etc)
TOP TIP: I am the app queen. When it comes to editing selfies, my favourite is Facetune. Smooth out those baggy eyes, spots or pimples. The tone functionality can turn any grey sky blue! VSCO cam and Instagram filters also work a treat.
#6: DOLLAR, DOLLAR BILLS YO!
Given that tipping is customary in USA, have some dollar bills ready at all times so you don’t have to break the bank!
To see more of Tully’s adventures, check out her Instagram or Facebook page.
Contiki trips to USA and Canada for 2019-20 out now. Find the right adventure for you…