Suggested Packing List – Asia
Last Updated: 21st Nov 2013
When packing for the Contiki Asia tours, you should be aware of the differing climatic conditions that exist in the region. Asia is generally a hot, humid travelling region, so attention should be paid to what the weather will be like in this area. It is also culturally different (being more conservative and respectful in terms of clothing worn).
Some ideas include:
- Surge protectors for electrical equipment
- Some warm clothing for Laos (early morning starts can be chilly)
- Using a backpack, rather than suitcase on wheels
- Reef sandles (or something they can tie to their feet) for water activities (lots of people lose their thong/flip flops/jandles/slip slops/havanas)
- Temple wear – long (but loose) trousers that cover down to their ankles plus a t-shirt.
- Clothing for swimming
- Having a smaller overnight bag
- Torch, flashligh, or headlamp (for a cave visit and the night in Pakbeng without power)
You may like to bring items from home, but don’t forget that many items can be purchased “in-country”.
During Contiki Asia tours, there will be many opportunities to make use of pools or visit the beach. The following items are considered essential to have:
- Swimsuit / board shorts
- Slip on shoes like sandals/thongs/flip-flops/slip-slops/jandles/Havianas (these are useful when visiting pagodas or local houses)
Weather conditions in Asia can also change quickly from hot and humid to torrential downpour. The following items are also suggested:
- Lightweight long sleeve tops
- Light waterproof rain jacket (that is rain and wind resistant)
- Sandals that can attach to the ankle are a wise investment as they can get wet, but will also not fall off easily.
Nightclubs and bars
There are opportunities to explore some of the nightlife in Asia while on tour. Unlike bars and nightclubs at home, many or the locations in Asia are more conservative in the music they play and drinks that are served. In Luang Prabang, Laos for example, there is a curfew that sees most nightlife close at 11.30pm.
Nightclubs and bars will accept denim jeans in their establishments. Jeans should be clean and not torn or frayed. Nice shoes should also be worn wear possible.
Expensive/flashy jewellery should be left at home. You can buy some cheaper stuff on tour!
In many Buddhist temples and some palaces that are visited as inclusions on a Contiki tour, there is a requirement to dress respectfully. This dress code is strictly enforced at the Royal Palace in Bangkok (Thailand) and the Royal Palace in Phnom Penh (Cambodia) with entrance refused to those who do not comply. This is similar to the conventions followed in churches in Europe.
It is essential that knees and shoulders be covered for both sexes.
The following list is an example of the prohibited outfits for the Bangkok Royal Palace:
- Sleeveless shirts
- Singlets/vest tops
- Shirts that have the mid-riff exposed
- See through shirts
- Short trousers that expose the knees or ankles
- Trousers that have rips in them
- Trousers that are too tight (and thus revealing)
- Mini skirts
The above list is enforced at the Royal Palace. It should also be looked at as a guideline for other places of religious significance.
Open-toed shoes/sandals/thongs/flip-flops/slip-slops/jandles/Havianas are permitted.
It is suggested that the following items be packed as “temple wear” for Asian tours. They can also be purchased on arrival, if needed:
- Lightweight trousers such as Fisherman’s pants: light, loose fitting trousers that cover down to the ankle, jeans are also acceptable
- Sarongs can also be worn
- Cotton t-shirt with sleeves (standard t-shirt is okay).
Look for options that are both respectful and cool (for the heat/humidity).
After the visit to the locations is completed, the clothing can be changed to something else better suited to the climate.
Add a Comment Comments (10)
Certainly a great resource, it is very much helpful for those who’re travelling around the world like me. the inflora condo
Future residents are within walking distance to Bishan Junction 8 and a short drive to Ang Mo Kio Hub from Sky Vue Condo. With such a short drive to the city area as well as the orchard and bugis area, entertainment for your love ones and family will come at a stone’s throw away from Sky Vue Condo Homepage
Awesome article. I learn one thing thoroughly new and challenging on internet websites I stumbleupon on a everyday foundation. It is going to always be exciting to examine by information from other authors and practice somewhat a little something from other internet web sites.
You’re so interesting! I don’t suppose I’ve read through via nearly anything like that just before. So wonderful to uncover a further human being with some authentic ideas on this subject make a difference. Critically.. thank you for setting up this up. This website web-site is one area that is necessary on the web, someone by using a minor originality!
Saved as a favorite, I really like your site!
expedia.com coupon codes
Greetings! Very helpful advice within this article! It’s the little changes that make the greatest changes. Thanks for sharing!
But the thing can’t red with so many people willing to, since Ken DaoTie, natural we both got a,Cheap Oakley this is power and interests.
I am not sure about dress standards in the parts of Asia Contiki is going to but would I need to pack in a Suit and Tie as well
Would a backpack be better suited to the asian tours then a suitcase?