If you’re not an Australian we’ll forgive you for not knowing what a ‘schnitty’ is. This delicious dish is simply a humble chicken schnitzel. A crumbed cut of chicken (usually breast) that is crispy, golden and a staple at any good pub. Unlike the traditional Austrian or German veal schnitzel, chicken is the king Down Under. Schnitty is so beloved that Sydney is getting the very first 8-course schnitzel degustation, featuring not just chicken but everything from seafood to dessert schnitties!
Aptly being held on World Schnitzel Day, September 14, the auspicious event will be held in Sydney suburb Glebe at the Toxteth Hotel (AKA The Tocky). Tickets are a mere $50 for EIGHT very creative and unique varieties of schnitzel.
The Schnitzel Degustation Menu:
- Abalone Schnitzel with Seaweed and Radishes
- Eggplant Schnitzel, Crushed Tomato, Mozzarella Cheese
- Dory Schnitzel Salted Baby Capers, Fondant Potato and Lime Mayo
- Turkey Schnitzel with Pickled Cabbage and Apple Sauce
- Veal Schnitzel Mushroom and Sage Butter, Mash Potato
- Wasabi and Sesame Crumbed Chicken Schnitzel with Steamed rice
- Kangaroo Schnitzel, Bush Tomato Compote, Lemon Myrtle
- Dessert Schnitzel Chocolate Mousse, Anzac Crumbs and Berries
View this post on Instagram
To celebrate World Schnitzel Day #thetocky welcomes you to our Schnitzel Degustation!! On Saturday 14th of September The Tocky is putting on an array of courses. Prices start at $50pp, and to pair your meals with 8 craft beers it's only $25 more! Guarantee your place today and book your tickets by following the link in our bio.
To further sweeten the deal, you can also dine on all of the above with a selection of matching beers. Now that’s living Barry!
Some of you may still be scratching your head about why this is such a big deal but it truly is a gift from the heavens for Australians. Such is the hype around schnitties that there is a whole sub-genre of memes in Australia dedicated to celebrating the dish…
The event is for one day only (even though Schnitzel Day should be every day) on September 14, so get your tickets ASAP! Missed out or not from Sydney? Drop the Toxteth a DM to let them know the schnitty degustation should be a monthly occurrence!