12 of the best places to visit in May
May just happens to be one of the best months of the year for travelling. Whether you’ve got your sights set on a new destination or you’re just looking to unwind – the climate in May is much temperate everywhere and you won’t run into as many tourists as you would in the months of summer or during the winter. On top of that, you have the added bonus of being able to travel cheaper than you would in June, July or August, which makes it one of the most popular months for a short vacation abroad #winning! So, here are the official 12 best places to travel in May…
What’s the weather like in Peru in May?
May is an excellent month to travel to Peru. With temperatures ranging between 19°C – 22°C, you get to enjoy the amazing green scenery without all the crowds that June, July and August bring.
What should I pack for a trip to Peru in May?
Peru is definitely a complicated country to pack for and it will be a struggle fitting everything in one suitcase. However, if we were to boil it down to five must-have items, we’d say:
- A few pairs of socks (it gets quite cold at night, so you’ll be thanking us later)
- A pair of hiking boots
- A buttoned up sweater (layering definitely helps in Peru)
- A rain jacket (even if it is theoretically the dry season, you never know what the weather has in store for you, so it doesn’t hurt to be prepared)
- Sunscreen (trust us: you’ll want to apply as much sunscreen as you can when you’re out and about – the sun is quite powerful in Peru!)
What’s there to do in Peru in May?
Peru is currently one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world and for good reason. It was home to one of the oldest civilisations in the world (Norte Cicho) and to the Inca Empire – the largest empire in pre-Columbian America. Discover the ancient Inca culture and the Amazon jungle, explore Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley. It’s all one big adventure.
Aside from its rich history and breathtaking landscapes, Peru has a lot to offer in terms of food, as well. Some of the most popular dishes in Peru include:
- Ceviche – made with raw fish marinated in lime juice.
- Causa – a casserole dish made with two main ingredients: potatoes and avocado.
- Rocoto relleno – a red bell pepper stuffed with spiced, sauteed ground beef and hard-boiled egg. DELISH!
Image source:Photo: Willian Justen de Vasconcellos / Unsplash
What should I wear in Morocco in May?
First of all, no matter which season you decide to visit Morocco, it’s important that your clothes are respectful of the local cultural norms. So ensure you’ve got some coverups and you’re not overly exposed. However, Morocco is in full spring mode in May, so your luggage will definitely be on the lighter side. Here are some of the most important items we recommend packing for your Morocco trip in May:
- Sunglasses – the sun is quite powerful there, so trust us: you’re gonna want to pack a pair.
- A pair of flat sandals – good for two main reasons: they allow breathing room for your toes and are extremely comfortable during long walks.
- A medium to large-sized tote bag – you may not know this, but Morocco actually has a zero plastic bag law, so you’re going to need to figure out an alternative solution for all that shopping.
- A cardigan – even though the weather is quite warm during the day, it does get a bit chilly during the night, so you’re going to want to layer up.
What is there to do in Morocco in May?
There are plenty of things to do in Morocco in May and with fewer tourists around than usual, you’re going to want to experience them all. Here are our top picks:
- Visit the Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca
- Explore the medina in Fez
- Check out the markets in Marrakech
- Wander around Bahia Palace
- Discover the Blue Village of Chefchaouen
Image source:Contiki / Stephanie Rupa
Thailand is just one of those destinations that has a little bit for everyone: culture, sun, amazing dishes, beautiful beaches, and lots of sightseeing opportunities, so naturally, it had to be on this list.
What is the weather like in Thailand in May?
If you’re looking for a tropical vacation in May, then Thailand is definitely the right choice for you. The weather in May is very warm, but you should expect a bit of rainfall as well, so make sure to pack an umbrella. The average temperature is 30°C, perfect for sun-bathing.
What should I pack for Thailand in May?
If your chosen destination for May is Thailand, be sure to pack the following:
- A pair of sandals
- An umbrella (while the majority of rainfall in Thailand is usually between August and October, it definitely helps being prepared for any scenario)
- A sweater / cardigan
- A bathing suit (with so many splendid beaches around, you’re gonna be grateful you’ve brought a bathing suit)
- A rain jacket (with the raining season just around the corner, it definitely helps to be prepared)
- Bug spray (mosquitoes are a real issue in Thailand)
What is there to do in Thailand in May?
Here are some of the most amazing things you can do during your Thailand vacation in May:
- Visit The Grand Palace (the official residence of the Kings of Siam since 1782)
- Go island hopping (did you know that Thailand is home to about 1430 islands? Yes, you’ve read that correctly. So get your beach bag ready and start exploring this magnificent coastline!)
- Check out the Golden Triangle (the point where Thailand, Laos and Burma/Myanmar meet)
- Go local (if you want to truly get a taste of Thailand, stray off the beaten path and spend a night or two with a local family and listen to their stories)
- Discover the floating markets
- Explore the ancient ruins and national parks (There are five UNESCO World Heritage sites in Thailand: three cultural and two natural)
9. Prague, Czech Republic
The weather is mostly warm and sunny as spring comes into full bloom. May is definitely one of the best months to visit the lovely city of Prague, but let’s face it: Prague is lovely all year round.
What should I pack for a trip to Prague in May?
If you’re visiting Prague in May, you can dress light, but make sure to pack a warm jacket and an umbrella just in case the weather decides to act up when you’re out and about.
What is there to do in Prague in May?
Prague is one of the most exquisite places in Europe in terms of architecture, so be sure to pack in as many attractions as possible during your trip. Our top picks are:
- Visit the Prague Castle
- Discover the Charles Bridge
- Stroll around the Old Town Square
- Visit the St. Vitus Cathedral
Image source:Photo: Anthony Delanoix / Unsplash
8. Stockholm, Sweden
What’s the weather like in Stockholm in May?
While May is not necessarily the warmest month of the year in Stockholm, it’s a good month to visit. It’s typically the off-peak season for tourists and you’ll get a chance to visit the museums without the usual crowds.
What is there to do in Stockholm in May?
If you don’t know where to start exploring, here are some of our top things to do when visiting Stockholm:
- Visit the Royal Palace (the official residence of His Majesty the King of Sweden, which boasts over 600 rooms)
- Discover the local architecture (which dates back to the 13th century and a lot of it is based on its close relationship with open water)
- Visit the Skansen (the first open-air museum from Sweden, showing visitors what life was like in the country before the industrial era)
- Take a walk in the park (Stockholm has some of the most amazing parks in the world, so just being able to stroll across meadows, surrounded by ducks, swans and beautiful lakes is well worth a visit)
- Spare a couple of hours for the Vasa Museum (this maritime museum is a must-see, offering a rare glimpse into 17th century history)
- And of course, tuck into the local Swedish buns!
Image source:Photo: Jessica Guzik / Unsplash
7. Vancouver, Canada
What’s the weather like in Vancouver in May?
We’re not gonna lie: Vancouver in May isn’t exactly sunny, so we wouldn’t recommend packing any sandals and skirts just yet. Nevertheless, the temperatures are mild, sitting around 17°C. Accommodation prices are lower than in June-August, which makes it a great month to explore it, especially if you’re looking to save up a bit.
What is there to do in Vancouver, Canada in May?
This west coast seaport from British Columbia has a lot more to offer than just delicious seafood and its impressive mountain scenery. Here are our favorite things to do in Vancouver:
- Visit the Museum of Anthropology
- Go kayaking in Deep Cove
- Explore the VanDusen Botanical Gardens
- Discover the Richmond Night Market
- Take a sea-to-sky gondola
6. Paris, France
Paris is absolutely perfect for a late spring vacation, not only because of the incredible weather, but also because it’s typically off-peak season, which means you’ll have easier access to all your favorite museums, dining and shopping spots.
What should I wear in Paris in May?
Layering is definitely recommended if you’re out and about in Paris in May. While it’s not necessarily cold during the day, it can get a bit chilly during the mornings and evenings, so make sure to pack a cardigan and even a rain jacket just in case. Make sure to bring a couple of long-sleeved tops, a few t-shirts, a pair of jeans and closed-toe shoes and you’re good to go!
What is there to do in Paris in May?
There are so many interesting things to do in Paris all year round, that it’s hard to boil it down to just a few, but here are our five favorite things:
- La Nuit des musées (or Museums Night) will be held on the 18th of May and it’s the night when you’ll be able to visit some of the best museums in Paris completely for free
- The Loire Valley – what better month than May to embark on this touristic journey and discover the stunning chateaux when everything is in bloom?
- The Paris Jazz Festival – which takes place between May 9-20 2020. Take a few hours to enjoy some of the most beautiful jazz performances from all around the world.
- The local food – in fact, here’s a list of the most underrated restaurants that you absolutely must try
Image source:Photo: Isaiah Bekkers / Unsplash
5. New York City, USA
What should I wear in New York in May?
May is actually one of the best months to visit New York, since it’s neither too hot, nor too cold, but since it’s not exactly summer yet, the packing situation can get a bit tricky. What’s the one salvation? Layering, baby! Here are our top items to pack for a trip to NYC in May:
- A cardigan or denim jacket
- A long or midi dress
- A pair of jeans
- A couple of t-shirts
- A long-sleeved shirt
- A pair of flat shoes
- A fancy pair of sandals
What’s there to do in New York City in May?
Let’s be frank: NYC is glorious across all 12 months of the year, BUT there’s something extra special about this city when all the trees are in bloom. Here are our top recommendations for things to do in NYC in May:
- Take a walking tour of the city and explore some of the famous neighborhoods, such as Lower Manhattan, and Greenwich Village
- Visit the Empire State Building
- Go to a Broadway show
- Take a stroll in Central Park (the most famous park in NYC)
- Visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art
Image source:Photo: Emiliano Bar / Unsplash
4. Botswana, Africa
Botswana is not only an excellent destination for May, but also one of the best vacation spots in the world. Here, there’s a diverse ecosystem and jaw-dropping scenery, plus there’s the chance to be completely detached from your regular urban existence.
What should I wear to Botswana in May?
If you’ve decided to take advantage of a few vacation days and finally go on a Botswana safari, here are some essential items you must remember to pack:
- A couple of long-sleeved shirts
- Mosquito repellent
- Khaki, green and neutral colored clothes
- A couple of t-shirts
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat
3. Costa Rica
What’s the weather like in Costa Rica in May?
Although May is officially the start of the rainy season in Costa Rica, the weather is actually surprisingly pleasant most days. There are also more hotels available during May, which gives you more choice in terms of accommodation, with low season discounts.
What’s there to do in Costa Rica in May?
This Central American country is best known for its volcanoes, spectacular beaches and diverse wildlife.
Here are some of the top touristy attractions from Costa Rica that you’re not gonna want to miss out on while you’re there:
- Monteverde (the most popular ecotourism areas in Costa Rica)
- Tortuguero (which currently houses thousands of sea turtles, such as the green sea turtle, the leatherback sea turtle and the loggerhead sea turtle)
- Manuel Antonio National Park
Image source:Photo: Esteban Venegas / Unsplash
2. Barcelona, Spain
This eclectic, vibrant city should make your travel bucket list this May, not only for its exquisite architecture, but also because of its delicious cuisine, the amazing beaches, and the incredibly friendly locals.
Is May a good time to visit Spain?
With temperatures averaging 23°C, May is definitely one of the best months of the year to book in a trip to Spain. As an added bonus, the flights and hotels are generally cheaper and you can experience the culture with a few less tourists around.
What should I wear in Barcelona in May?
While there might be a few sprinkles of rain throughout the month, May is generally a pleasant month for touristy activities. Here a few of the essential items we recommend packing for a trip to Barcelona in May:
- Sandals or flat shoes
- A swimming costume
- A hat
- A light jacket
- An umbrella
What’s there to do in Barcelona in May?
There’s a whole myriad of things you can see and do in Barcelona in the spring, but here are just five of our top recommendations for May:
- Visit Sagrada Familia – if you really want to soak in this city’s architecture and discover its influences, you need to start with this masterpiece, that blends several architectural styles, such as Art Nouveau and Catalan Modernism
- Hit the beach – this Catalan capital boasts 4.5 kilometres of coastline, so a bit of tanning will definitely be on your agenda
- Visit the museums – the Night of the Museums will be happening on May 18th, which means you’ll get to explore as many as you’d like without having to buy a single ticket. Sounds pretty amazing to us!
- Explore Ciutat Vella (The Old Town of Barcelona)
1. Florence, Italy
Florence is without a doubt one of the best places to travel in May, regardless of how long or short your stay is. With the entire city in full bloom and temperatures averaging 24°C, it’s a wonderful opportunity to take a walk through some of the most famous gardens in Florence, eat some gelato and surround yourself with the delicate wisteria pergolas and roses.
What should I wear in Florence in May?
With temperatures well over 20°C, you’re not gonna have to worry about packing a lot of heavy stuff. Florence is lovely and sunny in May, so feel free to pack in as many lightweight fabrics as possible. Here are some of our top choices:
- 2-3 pairs of shorts
- A couple of tops, that you can mix and match
- A pair of trousers
- A cardigan / denim jacket
- Flat shoes
- A hat
What’s there to do in Florence in May?
- Discover Ponte Vecchio
- Visit the Florence Cathedral
- Eat gelato (LOTS of it)
- Explore the Bargello Museum (a former prison and medieval fortress that now houses Italy’s biggest collection of Gothic and Renaissance sculptures)
- Visit the Uffizi Gallery